There seem to be certain times of day when everyone is craving a snack. The midmorning lull between breakfast and lunch is one; another is the post-lunch slump that happens hours after lunch but hours before quitting time.
One way to keep your energy levels steady is to eat healthy snacks during the day. A good idea is to combine whole grains, fiber and low-fat protein. The key is to make sure that the calories you are taking in have health value and aren’t just empty calories.
Here are combinations that will give you an energy boost and fill your stomach without filling out your waistline.
- Hummus and carrots: Hummus is filled with low-fat protein and carrots are loaded with vitamin A.
- Hummus and whole grain crackers: Whole grain has much more fiber and protein than refined grains.
- Apple slices and peanut butter: Apples are rich in antioxidants and fiber, while peanut butter provides protein and vitamins B3 and E.
- Low-fat string cheese and cherry tomatoes: The cheese contains protein and calcium while the tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant.
- Low-fat yogurt with blueberries: Yogurt’s blend of calcium, carbohydrates and protein make it the perfect healthy snack food. Add an extra nutrient and antioxidant kick by pairing it with blueberries or another fruit.
- Cashew or Almond butter with whole grain crackers: Nut butters are high in protein while whole grain crackers contain fiber and carbs.
- Fresh veggies and dip: Veggies provide a wide array of nutrients plus fiber and antioxidants. Pair with a low-fat dressing for flavor.
Healthy snacks are the key to keeping yourself fit and strong. Keeping your blood sugar levels from rising and falling will prevent you from feeling famished and overeating later. The right combination of nutrients will lead to a lifetime of health and wellness!